Monday, January 30, 2006

Arctic Monkeys are the best band in the world apparently

So if CD sales are anything to go by, Arctic Monkeys are a brilliant new band. I've listened to their album and it's not bad and I'm sure if I was ten years younger I'd probably think it was superb, because it's loud and in-yer-face. But the quality of the music isn't what really interests me. Here's a band that got started by letting people download their music from their website and are now have the fastest selling debut album of all time, on a tiny indie label. There are so many lessons for the big music labels here. Like, perhaps this new-fangled internet thing might actually be a useful marketing tool, rather than just full of evil-doers trying to rip off your music. And perhaps if you were actually doing your job of looking for new talent instead of suing your customers and infecting their computers with rootkits, you might have actually noticed this band and signed them. And considering internet pirating is "killing music", 360,000 copies of a CD sold in a week isn't bad going. I could go on, but I think you get the idea.

No comments: