Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Solving the Google Maps performance problem

Google Maps has a nice API to create your own map interfaces on a website. Unfortunately it has some serious performances problems when you add a large number of markers. In my case, I have about 500 markers and both IE and Firefox grind to a halt on my page. I've seen various suggested solutions, the most common being to reduce the number of markers by only showing one marker when there are several clustered together when zoomed out. I'm sure that would work but I wasn't too keen on the idea because it just sounded like too much work. Fortunately somebody has come up with a nice solution that works well for me. thanks to the wonderful open source nature of the web, I can happily rip off his code. Just need to get approval from him before I show off my new page to the world...

No comments: