Thursday, July 30, 2015

UK property sales for June 2015

I've uploaded the latest Land Registry property sales data to my site. Not much to report, house prices continue to slowly rise, the number of sales are still fairly low.

Monday, July 13, 2015

Strava segment explorer

I’ve added a new page to my website that gives a new look at Strava segments. I’m not too keen on the segment explorer on the Strava site. It doesn’t let me zoom in fully so I can’t find obscure segments that a slow coach like me might have a chance of gaining a KOM. It also only ever displays 10 segments at a time so I can’t get a good feel of what’s around.

My explorer fixes these issues. I have a load of ideas on how to improve it, so let me know if you find it useful and what you’d like to see.

Saturday, June 27, 2015

UK property sales May 2015

I’ve uploaded the latest Land Registry house price data to my site. Prices are still slowly ticking up but it seems the mini-boom in sales of 2013 and 2014 is over. 

Wednesday, June 03, 2015

UK postcode data for May 2015

I have uploaded the latest ONS postcode data to my website. This means all the latest postcodes in England, Wales and Scotland are now available. Northern Ireland continues to go its own way with its licensing so I am unable to update the postcodes I have from 2008. If you’d like to see up to date Northern Irish postcodes, I suggest contacting NISRA and ask them to relax their licensing to be in line with the rest of the UK.

Tuesday, June 02, 2015

Saturday, May 30, 2015

Retrieving the most popular pages using Google Analytics API again…

I occasionally run a little app I wrote 4 years ago to grab the most popular pages on my website via Google Analytics and update the database so the website can display a top 10 list of those pages. I tried to run it this morning and it fell over in a heap. It seems that Google no longer supports the API I was using. Ho hum, shit happens, software does rust…

So time to drag out my old code. Except I couldn’t find it. So time to look at Google’s latest and greatest API and rebuild it from scratch. Here’s what’s required and a small code sample.

First download the Google API .NET libraries. There seem to be a whole host of Google API libraries in nuget, but for Google Analytics the following should get what you need and all the dependencies.

Install-Package Google.Apis.Analytics.v3

Then you’ll need to create a service account in the Google Developers Console. After creating this service account, create a P12 key for it and save it somewhere on your computer. Then add the service account email address to the Google Analytics account you want to access.

Next fire up Visual Studio and create a console application and add the following code

using Google.Apis.Analytics.v3;
using Google.Apis.Analytics.v3.Data;
using Google.Apis.Auth.OAuth2;
using Google.Apis.Services;
using System;
using System.Security.Cryptography.X509Certificates;

namespace UpdateTop10
  class Program
    static void Main(string[] args)
      catch (Exception ex)
        Console.WriteLine("ERROR: " + ex.Message);
      Console.WriteLine("Press any key to continue...");

    private static void Read()
      String serviceAccountEmail = "<the service account email address>";

      var certificate = new X509Certificate2(@"<the location of your P12 key file>",
        "notasecret", X509KeyStorageFlags.Exportable);

      ServiceAccountCredential credential = new ServiceAccountCredential(
         new ServiceAccountCredential.Initializer(serviceAccountEmail)
           Scopes = new[] { AnalyticsService.Scope.AnalyticsReadonly }

      // Create the service.
      var service = new AnalyticsService(new BaseClientService.Initializer()
        HttpClientInitializer = credential,
        ApplicationName = "<your application name in Developer Console>"

      // Run the request.
      DataResource.GaResource.GetRequest req = service.Data.Ga.Get("ga:<the ID of the analytics view found under Admin/View Settings>", DateTime.Now.AddMonths(-1).ToString("yyyy-MM-dd"),
        DateTime.Now.ToString("yyyy-MM-dd"), "ga:visits");
      req.Dimensions = "ga:pagePath";
      req.Sort = "-ga:visits";
      GaData data = req.Execute();

      for (int i=0; i<20; i++)
        Console.WriteLine(data.Rows[i][0] + ": " + data.Rows[i][1]);

Fill in the bits between angled brackets with your details and give it a go. The top 20 visited pages from the last month should appear in your output.

Overall it wasn’t too painful, Some of the examples on the web seem to be written for older versions of the API which can cause some confusion and Google have such a huge number of APIs out there, finding the right one can be tricky, but once those hurdles are overcome, it’s reasonably straightforward.

Update - Windows Live Writer currently doesn't work with Blogger accounts, I'm guessing this is the same issue that I was having with my old little app. Hopefully Google told everyone they were turning off ClientLogin support, but it appears Microsoft didn't get the memo... And hopefully it gets fixed soon, because the Blogger editor is effing terrible

Monday, May 18, 2015

UK constituency and administrative area KML

A strange thing happened last week, visits to my site were affected by real world events. That’s the first time that has happened. The cause was the UK election and the pages affected by it were the pages devoted to UK electoral constituencies and in particular the constituency of South Thanet. After having a look at those pages, I came to the conclusion that any visitors may have been quite disappointed with the data available on those pages. So I’ve spent a bit of time improving them. They now include the area polygons of each constituency and also provide an estimate of the population and number of households in each constituency.

Whilst i was at it, I also added area polygons for administrative districts and wards. Enjoy!