Tuesday, June 22, 2010

MySql Workbench

I’ve used phpMyAdmin for a long time to administer MySql databases on the web. I’ve been pretty happy with it, although it can occasionally behave a bit strangely if it times out. But I was at the MySql website the other day to download MySql for my laptop when I spotted MySql Workbench, so I thought I’d give it a go. And it’s a very nice piece of free software. Call me an old timer but I still prefer a desktop application and it delivers. It looks good and offers all the features I need. I’ve been spoiled by SQL Server Management Studio (and not spoiled by the Oracle admin tools…) but MySql Workbench seems comparable in terms of functionality and ease of use. The pre-release 5.2 seems quite a lot better than the official 5.1 release, so go for that if you feel brave.

No comments: