Friday, April 11, 2008

Live Maps, what the ...?

As of today, if you go to Live Maps and you're based in the UK, you get redirected to Multimap instead. It's still possible to get to the real Live Maps via the URL http://maps.live.com/?mkt=en-us, but why on earth has Microsoft decided to do this? Live Maps has improved drastically over the last few months and is now at the very least on a par with Google Maps. Multimap, whilst certainly better than it was, is still way behind both of them.

All I can think is that Microsoft spent a significant amount of money on Multimap so isn't prepared to let it die a natural death. Multimap is plastered with ads as well so I guess they will earn some cash from it, something that presumably isn't happening with Live Maps. Unfortunately what will happen is people will just use Google Maps instead so Microsoft will lose out. 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

If Live Maps continues to redirect to Multimap then I will stop using it... it's like going back in time - it's crap!

I thought Microsoft were trying to build the 'Live' brand to try and catch up with Google? Obviously not!

Marcus said...

I agree with you 100%. It really annoys me. Luckily it doesn't seem to be affecting my home laptop running firefox